Tuesday, May 9, 2023

At the Drop of a Mountain

 By Clem Latham

The landscape of Delphi in Greece was incredibly striking to me. Although as a group we spent less than a day in the city, one of the most memorable things about the area was how high up we were in the mountains. When looking off of balconies, it almost felt as if you were scaling a cliffside because of how vertical of a drop there was. On the one night we spent there, two friends and I went to a bar that our tour guide recommended. I don’t particularly like loud music, so the three of us decided to take our drinks out to the deck they had– and I cannot even express how pretty the view was. Beneath the deck felt like a straight drop, and even in the dead of night, you could see how far down the mountain valley went. I wish I could’ve taken pictures then and there, but alas, my phone doesn’t like the dark all that much. As we were up in the mountains, there was a damp chill outside but it created the perfect late night mountainside ambiance. The morning after, as I was rushing to get ready and get out the door, I still had to take a second and pause once I saw the view from our hotel. It was absolutely breathtaking in real life. Nothing makes you feel truly small like a miles-long valley that seems so far below you. 



            Going to Athens after that was like a whole different world. It was much flatter, and much more urbanized to the point that I can’t remember much about the landscape. To me, all cities have the same kind of feel, and Athens was no different. It was certainly nothing like Delphi! Although cities are nice in their own way, nothing can beat that beautiful view and feel of being up in the hills in Delphi.



No comments:

Post a Comment